Top menstrual cup tips for a first-time Mooncup® user
Are you considering a sustainable swap to the Mooncup? Using something new can be a bit of a challenge, so we’ve put together these simple menstrual cup tips to help you on your way:
• Learning to use the Mooncup® is a new skill. Like anything new, using a menstrual cup for the first time can take some practice to get the knack of (we’d say around 3 cycles). But don’t worry, with practice it usually becomes second nature before you know it.
• Remember- you have time- there’s no hurry! Before getting started, have a good look around our website. We have loads of information to help answer your questions and make getting started as straightforward as possible. Check out our FAQ section, How to Use video and YouTube channel for useful tips and tutorials.
• Once you’ve got your Mooncup home have a proper read of the usage instructions that came with it before jumping in! Remember you need to give your Mooncup a thorough clean before first use too.
• Take your time when getting started. It’s important to be relaxed. Choose a time during the day when you’re at home, feeling relaxed and aren’t rushing. After a bath or shower can be ideal.
• You can practice inserting and removing your Mooncup before your period starts, when there’s less pressure to ‘get it right’! You might find it helps to use some extra warm water on your Mooncup, or a water-based lubricant like YES® WB at your vaginal entrance at this time.
• Experiment with different menstrual cup folding techniques. We’re all unique so it’s worth experimenting to find the one that works best for you.
• Don’t forget to wash your hands before and after inserting and removing your Mooncup.
• The Mooncup should be positioned as low as it will comfortably sit in the vagina, lower than a tampon with a clear gap with the top rim of the Mooncup and the cervix. The cup is designed to form a light seal with the walls of the vagina and not sit over the cervix itself. If any of the stem is sticking out of the vagina, you can gradually trim it shorter.
• It is important to release the seal before removing the Mooncup. Gently squeeze the base of the cup to release the seal. Alternatively insert your index finger alongside the cup and push the side of the cup away from the vaginal wall to break the seal.
• Remember that Mooncup shouldn’t be worn for longer than 8 hours. The recommendation to empty and rinse your Mooncup every 4 – 8 hours is based upon safe practice for users (and has nothing to do with the capacity of the Mooncup vs. other period cup brands). Ultimately, this recommendation comes down to safety and hygiene reasons, to limit the risk of infections for our Mooncup customers.
• Our friendly Advice Team, run by medical health professionals, is here to help with any questions or support you might need along the way. The Advice Service is open Mon- Friday 9-5pm (UK Time). You can get in touch at [email protected] where they’ll be happy to help.
Find out more about the Mooncup and get yours here.
You might also be interested in:
How to choose the best menstrual cup for you?
Make sure your Mooncup® is the Real Deal
8 Menstrual Cup MYTHS To Look Out For
How is the Mooncup® menstrual cup environmentally friendly? 10 reasons
Changing your delivery country will reset your basket