How do I clean my Mooncup?
If you look after your Mooncup and clean it well, it should last for years and years.
First use and between periods
Before you use your Mooncup menstrual cup for the first time and after you’ve finished your period, we recommend giving it a thorough clean. To do this you can
- boil it immersed in water for 5 to 7 minutes (in a pan you use just for this purpose)
- use sterilising solution or tablets. These are commonly used to sterilise baby equipment. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for dilution and soak for the minimum recommended time. Then rinse thoroughly with clean water.
Cleaning your Mooncup during your period
When a sink is at hand:
- Wash your Mooncup with water or mild, non-perfumed soap. Always rinse it well with water after using soap as any traces left on the Mooncup may cause irritation.
In public toilets or at work:
Wash your hands at the sink and then either
- take a small bottle of water into the toilet cubicle with you, empty your Mooncup into the toilet bowl, rinse with a small amount of water and re-insert; or
- wipe the Mooncup with toilet paper and re-insert.
Remember, because the Mooncup tends to hold more menstrual blood than tampons or pads you may not need to empty and reinsert it as often as you would change your conventional sanitary protection.
Follow the same instructions as above but make sure you use drinking water to clean your Mooncup.
DO NOT USE THE FOLLOWING AS THEY MAY DAMAGE YOUR MOONCUP OR CAUSE VAGINAL IRRITATION:
- Petrol based substances such as Vaseline
- Oil based substances
- e.g. essential oils or coconut oil
- Harsh cleaners
- Strong or scented soaps
- Dishwasher or microwave
Keeping the holes clear
The holes need to be completely clear to get the best seal possible between the Mooncup and the wall of the vagina. If the holes become blocked with menstrual blood/debris then they will need to be cleared.
How to unblock holes:
To unblock the holes, fill the Mooncup with water and force the water out of the holes by blocking the entrance of the collecting cup with the palm of your hand. Alternatively you can gently clean the holes using a small brush such as a toothbrush.
How do I remove staining on my Mooncup?
It’s normal to get some staining on your Mooncup over time – as long as you’re following the instructions above, it doesn’t mean that it isn’t clean. However, if you want to get rid of stains, you can
- soak your Mooncup in sterilising solution or tablets, following the manufacturer’s guidelines for dilution and soaking for the minimum time; or
- use bicarbonate of soda. Get a clean, damp cloth or a toothbrush with plenty of bicarb and rub it onto the stained area.
Once you have cleaned your Mooncup in this way, rinse it thoroughly with clean water.
How do I remove a strong odour from my Mooncup?
The Mooncup should not have a strong odour so if it does, please see our section on Mooncup and Odour to work out why this has happened.