Can I use the Mooncup if I’ve just started my period?
Many young people are now using the Mooncup menstrual cup, but only you can decide whether you feel ready to use a menstrual cup.
If you have strong personal or cultural feelings relating to the hymen, we would not advise that you use the Mooncup at this stage in your life (you can read more about the Mooncup and the hymen here).
If you have recently started your periods and are thinking about using the Mooncup, we recommend that you consider the following points:
- Discuss wishing to try using a Mooncup menstrual cup with a trusted adult before making the leap. This could be a parent, other relative or school nurse.
- Be curious about your body, including your periods. Getting used to having periods can take a while. There is a lot to think about and it may at first be useful to use a product that is worn outside the body such as a re-usable pad, or period pants. If you prefer to start with disposables, organic cotton and plastic-free options are available too. This can help you get to grips with your flow and the pattern of your cycle, which all helps build confidence around managing your periods.
- Using a Mooncup menstrual cup is a new skill to learn and can take some practice to get the hang of. It’s always best to practice at home during the day when you are feeling relaxed and have plenty of time. When positioned correctly the Mooncup should feel comfortable.
- Have a read through our ‘How to use the Mooncup’ section.
- The Mooncup needs to be emptied and rinsed every 4-8 hours. It is worth thinking about the practicalities of doing this at school. Find out more about using the Mooncup in a public toilet.
- Although the Mooncup cannot get lost in your body, if at any stage you struggle to remove the Mooncup, go to our removal FAQ. If you are unable to remove the Mooncup yourself after using the tips, you may need to contact Mooncup Advice Service or your doctor or nurse.
- Before making a purchase, it can help to go and have a look at a Mooncup®. Some of our stockists have a demonstration Mooncup in their stores. Check the online store locator for a stockist near you. Have a feel of it, and remember, it is folded for insertion!
Our Advice Service is here to help answer questions at all about the Mooncup. For expert advice on a whole range of new user questions, including Mooncup positioning and removal, explore our other FAQs or contact the lovely medical professionals in our Advice Service.