Can you get Toxic Shock Syndrome from using a menstrual cup?


Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) affects both men and women. By adulthood most people will have immunity to this bacteria, however, some will not, and there is no way of telling who is immune and who isn’t.

TSS has been associated with individuals who have recently had surgery, soft tissue and bone infections, and insect bites, as well as people who have menstruated, used intra-uterine contraceptive devices, and used intra-vaginal contraceptive devices and tampons.

Menstrual Toxic Shock Syndrome is a rare though serious and sometimes fatal disease caused by toxin-producing strains of the staphylococcus aureus bacterium. If you experience the TSS symptoms below while using the Mooncup menstrual cup, take it out and seek medical advice immediately.

We recommend you follow these steps to reduce your risk of developing TSS:

  • Do not use any internal vaginal devices, including the Mooncup, if you have been previously diagnosed with TSS
  • Clean your Mooncup thoroughly before using it for the first time, as described in the Usage Guide
  • Remove, wash and reinsert your Mooncup at least every 4-8 hours during your period. This means that you will need to do this at least 3 times in 24 hours
  • Wash your hands before and after handling your Mooncup

Symptoms of Toxic Shock Syndrome

TSS symptoms often mimic flu and can include:

  • sudden high fever
  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • dizziness
  • fainting
  • rash rather like sunburn during your period or some days after

If you have more questions about Toxic Shock Syndrome, please contact Mooncup Advice.

Want to hear from us? Sign up to our newsletter