Toxic Shock Syndrome
What about Toxic Shock?Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) affects both men and women. By adulthood most people will have immunity to this bacteria, however some will not, and there is no way of telling who is immune and who isn’t. TSS has been associated with individuals who have recently had surgery, soft tissue and bone infections, insect bites, menstruated, use intra-uterine contraceptive devices, intra-vaginal contraceptive devices and tampons.
Menstrual Toxic Shock Syndrome is a serious and sometimes fatal disease caused by toxin producing strains of the staphylococcus aureus bacterium, and has been linked to the high absorbency and prolonged use of tampons. Although it is a very rare illness, at Mooncup we like to remain cautious and recommend you do the following to reduce your risk of developing TSS:
- Do not using any internal vaginal devices, including the Mooncup, if you have been previously diagnosed with TSS
- Clean your Mooncup thoroughly before using for the first time, as described in the Usage Guide
- Remove, wash and reinsert your Mooncup at least every 4-8 hours during your period. This means that you will need to do this at least 3 times in 24 hours
- Wash your hands before and after handling your Mooncup
sudden high fever; vomiting; diarrhoea; dizziness; fainting or a rash rather like sunburn during your period or some days after.
If you experience these symptoms while using the Mooncup remove it and seek medical advice immediately.
If you have further questions related to Toxic Shock Syndrome, please contact Mooncup Advice.